When I decided to start doing something with this old key-box I found in a charity shop, I had no idea how well it would turn out.
The original design was pretty horrible but I knew this little box had potential and waited to think what I could do with it.I wanted to do something clay related, but it isn’t very deep so wasn’t sure what function it could have.
What a nasty picture!
As I love this bird card my sister got me last year I decided that would be my inspiration for the front panel. I took the nasty old hinges and clasp off the box and set to work on the front, mixing gradients of green for a lush background. I stamped the background once it covered the front, although a lot of this got covered up. I loved blended colours in polymer clay at the moment so this was a great project of the bird with vibrant feathers in a mixture of blues, greens, yellows and pinks.
Cutting the shapes was a little tricky, as was layering them over each other. I think I could have done it a bit better in hindsight. Once I had the bird shape and tail in a place I liked, I started thinking about different plants and flowers around it. I wanted the bird to look as if it were in a tropical paradise. I mixed together different greens, added snakes of clay for dimension and used canes to add variety to the foliage.
This is my most recent embroidery project I’ve been working on for the last two weeks and I love how it has turned out. It is the biggest and most complex piece I have made so far. I love toucans and I also love decorative and fancy designs which I tried to capture here.
Embroidering has become my newest craft obsession of late and I’ve been sketching ideas down before I begin them on the hoop. I’m really pleased with this bird and tea cup I’ve just finished – I made it for a friend and I know she will be delighted! I even covered the back with some felt to give it a nice finish.
I really sprayed a lot with this background, using black, blue, purple, green and slightly shimmery sprays, as well as water. It has come apart a little at the seems as I got carried away! But overall I love how it turned out – I think it may have worked better if the page was portrait though and I could fit in a longer tail. I also used my favourite Poca Paint pens and some Distress glitter to give it some details.
I am pretty obsessed with birds at the moment and have been looking at lots of amazing peacocks. Their colouring and feathers are gorgeous!
This is a bit of a mixed up page, as I started it not knowing what to create. I added some tissue paper to the background then used acrylic paints and paint pens over the top to draw the bird. My art journal is so fat now, I am finding it hard to work in! I may have to do single pages so I have more control over what I am creating.
I am going to continue my with this bird theme and do more peacocks 🙂