Here are a few bead embroidery projects I started before I went on holiday, and finished when I came back.
I love dragonflies, so I started this with a few larger beads I had and lots of seed beads and lovely gold thread. I had a lot of issues with this project! I used organza and some stabilizer but the material was just to fragile and kept tearing. I decided to cut out the body and try a stronger fabric.
The next problem I had was that I ran out of this lovely gold thread I was using for the wings and couldn’t find it again! Three trips to the art shop where I got it, but they had non. I kept putting finishing the dragonfly off, but hate having unfinished pieces so I had to improvise and decided to add some foliage to cover this missing wing.
Overall I am pleased with how his came out, although the body could have been smaller and longer and the wing much bigger.
My other bead project was my first attempt at doing a stump work beetle. This was a real challenge!
I started by choosing large beads for the body and in hindsight I think the flower bead was too big. I found some great videos on beetle stump work on YouTube so used them as a guide when making the wings and wing cases. Sewing wire is very tricky! I had planned to make a free standing beetle that could be made into a broach but as he was so big and I attached the wings and wing cases, I decided to sew him onto a hoop and add legs. The wings needed much more work but now I have a good idea on how to put them all together.
I really love working with beads, there are so many and you can really let your imagination go wild with ideas – which is what I’ve been doing recently! Be careful with them though; only the other day I knocked a whole load of seed beads on the floor 😦 that was no fun picking them up!
I also got a new Venus Flytrap, Jeff Goldblum 2nd – 1st died of overheating 😦 whoops.